Thursday, July 28, 2005

full moon



The full moon is past -- it always surprises me how quickly the moonlight lessens after the full moon, since it seems so bright just before it's completely full. Some nights I hardly need the lights on the backyard while I'm taking the goose for a walk before she has supper.




I don't know what's gone wrong with my diabetes. I always used to be able to keep my morning BGL reading to 7.0 or less, but recently they've been edging up. The apex (or do I mean the vertex?) came Wednesday morning when it hit 8.5

*Sigh*

My doctor isn't going to be pleased unless I get it down by the time I see him again. The only good thing here is that he's increased the time between appointments and I'm not due to see him again until December 7th.

Finally a date I won't forget! "An appointment that will live in infamy...." (I hope not!).




I called in at the local comic-book shop Area 52 yesterday.

"I got the July issues of Uncle Scrooge and Walt Disney's Comics & Stories last time I was in but I notice I haven't got the June issues. What happened to them?"

"That's odd, you should have got those. Let me look.... oh, here they are. Apparently they didn't get put in your box. Do you still want them?"

I bit my lip not to say what I thought, contenting myself with "Yes please."

Seeing these go for about A$15 a copy, you might expect them to take more care.




Received today from First Generation Radio Archives their new Round Robin. Twenty audio CDs -- no MP3 technology involved.

RR #25 contains over twenty hours of diverse radio entertainment, including comedy with Jack Benny, suspense with "Lights Out," "Inner Sanctum," and"The Strange Dr. Weird," the seldom heard "Cinnamon Bear" audition show, musical entertainment from Bing Crosby's "The Kraft Music Hall," "Philco Radio Time," Johnny Mercer, and "The Bob Crosby show," rare locally aired broadcasts, and a special series of never-before-available syndicated programs.

A panorama of old time radio entertainment, taken directly from original master recordings and restored for excellent audio quality. The early Jack Benny shows were originally recorded for Benny's own archives, for example.

In the mid-1950's, US Armed Forces Radio began recording and re-broadcasting the audio portions of some civilian television broadcasts over their radio stations. To today's listeners, this practice has happily resulted in the preservation of many high-quality audio tracks from television shows that in many cases wouldn't exist at all. Here, for example, we have "Stars of Jazz," a musical series from 1958 hosted by songwriter/performer Bobby Troup and featuring performances by Red Nichols and Frances Bergen.

No comments: