Wednesday, January 08, 2020

More Notes from Down Under

 16/07/2019
Muddy outside again.  Picked my way across the yard carefully, bearing in mind what happened the other day.  I went out to feed the poultry their breakfast and because of the wet weather they were in a different place to usual, sheltering from the rain.  I leaned forward as I threw their food down, and felt I was over balancing. 
Fortunately I managed to grab something and steady myself, but the chickens had seen me starting to topple over and had run off in all directions.  Tried calling them, but they were standing back suspiciously watching me.  I'm sure they came over as soon as I went back into the house.

9:16 PM 23/07/2019
Tuesday I was at the Croquet Club punctually and played two games.  The good news is that we did all right in the second game.  The first game?  Well, I haven't lost a game 7-0 for about ten years, but there's a second time for everything.

12:29 PM 26/07/20191
Blest be the tie that binds
  Our hearts in Christian love;
The fellowship our spirit finds
  Is like to that above.

When we asunder part,
  It gives us inward pain;
But we shall still be joined in heart,
  And hope to meet again.

10:33 AM 6/08/2019
A memory surfaces of dinner at the Bangsund home.  Left alone at the table with George Turner, I said by way of conversation that I hadn't seen any of John's SF collection anywhere.  George took a sip of wine and replied "Like a lot of SF fans, I expect he keeps it under his bed for quick reference."

10:08 PM 6/08/2019
Slept well.  Played a little better at croquet today. (Are the two things connected?) Then went into Moonah for lunch.  Weather a bit unpredictable from hour to hour.  This evening tuned in to watch first episode of SEA CHANGE  on TV -- who would have thought they'd make a new series 20 years after it finished? 

6:04 PM 10/08/2019
Drove up with Adrian to Oatlands in the southern midlands.  A big day for the town with the Heritage & Bullocks festival, though the weather was not co-operating.  (Helena's photographic studio was the warmest spot in town!).  Saw quite a few of the sights, including black swans on the shore of Lake Dulverton, lots of native hens, heritage displays and a coffee shop with an Errol Flynn themed decor.


6:13 PM 23/08/2019
Thursday it struck me that the week so far has been defined by things that didn't happen rather then by stuff I did do.  No croquet, no quiz night, no mobile phone and the laptop still in the shop.  Plus the batteries in the TV remote died while I was watching a movie last night!
Also no sunshine  --  while I was feeding the poultry a couple of days ago, it struck me that I had not seen so many pools of water on the ground since last year's rainstorm.   
Things must improve from now on, surely.

10:56 PM 23/08/2019
A bit busier on Friday.  Even the sun was shining.   I napped for an hour then went out for lunch and browsed through the Salvation Army store (mildly surprised to find a DVD bearing the emblem of the Mt Isa Blockbuster store - a long way from home).  Picked up the laptop from its service, then joined my neighbours for a trip to The Playhouse.  We saw David Williamson's classic comedy THE CLUB, which was very well received by a large audience. 

26/08/2019
A typical day --
1. Feed poultry, feed cats.
2. Breakfast
3. Facebook
4. Morning coffee while watching MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
5. Lunch
6. Phone Helena to let her know I have received SIM card for new phone
7. Wrestle with phone - gad but that's a fiddly job
8. Activate card on-line after giving up trying to get through on phone
9. Out for dinner with friends, watch episode of DEPARTMENT S.
10. Supermarket on way home.
11. Try out laptop after its service - tolerable.
12. Phone call from Keith Curtis, latest books collected.
13. Listen to late news on radio, go to bed.

No comments: