Thursday, March 12, 2020

Summer of Fires

.
The spate of bushfires seems to be easing off, though the other states have had it much worse than Tasmania.  It is disturbing to those of us who remember the terrible 1967 fires
 
1/02/2020
Back in the 1960s I was an Argonaut.  That would mean nothing today, but back then there was a popular ABC radio show for children and you could send off for a badge and certificate recognizing you as a member.  Among the many features and skits on the show was a short radio serial.  Already being aware of science fiction I enjoyed one serial they presented -- "The Stranger", in which a visitor turns out to have otherworldly origins.  I was slightly surprised to see it turn up on television a couple of years later.  And I'm very surprised to see it is now available for viewing again on the ABC's website.

10:39 PM 2/02/2020
Sunday didn't start well, but we won't go into   that. (I found a second broken window.)  It was mild and sunny when I went into church, so it was a bit surprising to see it was raining lightly when I left.  I had an invitation to go out somewhere, but this week had been so tiring I went home instead and lay down to rest.  I must have slept for an hour or two, then slowly awakened and stared at the ceiling, enjoying a faint breeze that cooled the house to a comfortable level.
I felt a rare sense of calm and peace.  For some time I just lay there, feeling relaxed and contented.  Moments like that are rare enough that they should be savoured and enjoyed for as long as possible.

4/02/2020
Cool and mostly fine Tuesday.  Surprised that 15 members turned up at the Croquet Club for this afternoon's game.  The sun was shining non-stop and there was a cool breeze.  I took off my cardigan for the second game and was happy in my light t-shirt.  "Aren't you cold?" asked my opponents, two ladies wearing jackets zipped up to the neck.  I told them I was quite comfortable, did not add that after last week I found the cold wind quite refreshing.
In the evening, out to the quiz night.  Didn't really expect to win three times in a row, but our chances were laid low by the absence of our music expert.  I think we scored 4/10 in the music round, and two of those were guesses.  So coming second wasn't so bad.

9:26 PM 5/02/2020
Spent a lot of Wednesday relaxing around the house, listening to the ambient music of this week's "Hearts Of Space" program and munching my way through an unopened packet of Vegie Straws I found while looking through some stuff.
Friends rang to say they were coming through in half an hour and did I want to meet for lunch.  That went off all right, but I made the mistake of saying I'd bought some extra plastic crates and they decided this was a great time to come round and help me do some tidying-up.  I think we filled 6 or 7 crates and tossed out another one of rubbish before I said good night to them. 

10:56 AM 7/02/2020
Thursday was a busy day even for me.  Got off to the Croquet Club punctually so I could fit in a game before I had to go into town.  A few of us up on lawn 3 while the first two lawns were occupied by the earnest players in the Pennant match.  Then caught the bus into the city (to avoid those diabolical new parking meters) for lunch and the first meeting of the year for the Friends Of Mission group.  Back home and drove out to the Bocce Club for a couple of games and a sausage sizzle in the bright afternoon sun.  Home in time to watch DOCTOR WHO (disappointingly did not follow on from the plot of last week's episode) and receive a long drawn-out phone call from Keith Curtis who is more of a night owl than I am these days. 

1 comment:

Crusty said...

It's been a long time. I don't even have a clue how long but I'm glad to catch up on the news from your world.
Roger

crustyroger in Mesa AZ USA