Sunday, August 16, 2020

Lockdown eases a little

.

.

 ‎Tuesday, ‎19 ‎May ‎2020

Like many people, I usually leave a radio switched on for my chickens, playing softly as a sort of "white noise"  --  if you remember the TV show PIE IN THE SKY you will have seen it there.  Yesterday on a whim I changed the station from a talk station to one that plays only classical music.  Tuesday night I gave the poultry their supper, and turned to leave.
But I was surprised to see that the goose was standing underneath the radio, not moving and apparently staring into space.  He looked for all the world as though he was listening to the Trio Nordica play Elfrida Andrée's Piano Trio in C minor.
This was unexpected.  I had been given to understand that geese had a large brain to go with their large bodies, but nobody had said anything about them being able to listen to music.  A google search was uninformative.  Watch this space.

‎Friday, ‎22 ‎May ‎2020

The rubbish skip arrived yesterday, so after lunch I got out the broom and shovel and filled one of the bins with stuff from outside the back door where the poultry had been fossicking around.  I went out to buy more plastic crates for storage (and some cat food).  Then spent a while emptying 14 sacks of rubbish into the skip.  Still plenty of room.  The radio reports strange lights seen in the sky;  if they're aliens, they are welcome to take as much of my rubbish as they like.  I wonder what they'd deduce about our world from my garbage?

‎Sunday, ‎24 ‎May ‎2020

Saturday was a day for working away on the stuff at the back of the house.  A friend told me "You can't let your life be run by the chickens", and maybe it was time to clear out all the stuff that Julie had at the back door for looking after her poultry.  The cages, the lights, the bric-a-brac that had been hanging round for a decade or more  --  time to let it all go.  Out with all of that, in with a table and chairs.  On with the tablecloth.  Close the door to the chooks who had been used to sleeping in there.  I let the cat out and he meowed in surprise at the change before him.  "I know how you feel," I told him, "It's a bit strange to me too."

‎Tuesday, ‎26 ‎May ‎2020

2 degrees when I got up today.  Cat stayed in bed.
After lunch, went over to the croquet club.  It was a welcome feel of old times to see eight of us out on the lawns, familiar faces in a familiar setting.  The grass seemed to be smooth and welcoming, perhaps because there had been few feet troubling its surface for months and I enjoyed being out in the fresh air, the bright autumn sun beaming down on us.

‎Saturday, ‎30 ‎May ‎2020

This was the first weekend since the Coronavirus lockdown that the Salvation Army store has been opened.  I went in to take a look - when three customers left, another three were allowed to enter.  Hand sanitizer provided at the door.  The staff were happy to see their regulars again, and things felt more like the "old normal" as I suppose we should call it now.
Bought ten movies and three books;  if you average it out over the last couple of months, that's really very moderate.

Sunday, 31 May 2020

Felt excessively weary when I woke up on Sunday.  May have been a bit late taking my meds yesterday.  I did tune in to hear the on-line sermon from St John's, then went out to buy a paper.  My local shop was out of the SUNDAY AGE, so I decided to keep going and drove out to Glenorchy.  The shopping centre there was half full of people, but not enough of them to cause me unease.  Half the shops were open, but the closed and dark cinema brooding over the parking lot reminded you of the current world situation.
That was the furthest I've been from home in weeks.
.


No comments: