Saturday, October 03, 2020

The time changes and the winds rise

 10:55 PM 24/09/2020
Thursday I had time to do some stuff in Moonah and New Town.  It was a bittersweet afternoon because two local businesses are closing tomorrow and it brought back a lot of memories.  The New Town Newsagency had been a regular shopping destination for most of the 35 years I've lived in the northern suburbs  --  I remember buying the Sunday papers from Sydney when they had those big lift-out comics sections.  And the Magnolia coffee shop in Moonah was a place I'd visited every week for the last decade, a real central point for the community.  But after tomorrow, they will be no more.

4:55 PM 26/09/2020
Saturday out op-shopping and lunch as usual.  Keith sighed "When I started THE THREE BODY PROBLEM, I didn't realize it was a trilogy."
 "So now you have a three book problem," I said.
He stared at me across the table.  "Well, you're quick, I'll give you that."

2:03 PM 27/09/2020
Driving in to church Sunday morning, I often count the number of dogs I pass;  it was a game my sister and I used to play.  What I wasn't prepared for was what I saw when I stopped at a traffic light in North Hobart.  I was waiting for the light to change when I heard a loud noise coming from the other side of the road.  Glancing over my shoulder, I was startled to see a dog running down the footpath towing a table behind it!  
Apparently it had been tied to a table at one of the sidewalk restaurants when for some reason it had taken fright.  Its owner was running down the street trying to catch up with either the dog or the plastic table.  Traffic came to a standstill as drivers watched the chase.  At least one driver abandoned her car in the middle of the street to try and help catch the panicked pooch  -- nobody honked their horn, I think they were all watching the pursuit.
Eventually I noticed the light had changed and I drove off, relieved to see the owner had caught up with his dog before it reached the corner.  Who knows what might have happened had it run out into the intersection??


10:40 AM 28/09/2020
Sunday afternoon I was having a relaxing cup of coffee in the garden while I looked through the Sunday paper.  Suddenly I became aware of noises coming from out by the side door.   A couple of thumps, and the sound of water -- the sort of thing you'd hear if a drainpipe had come apart during a storm.  When I investigated I discovered that the goose was splashing about in the baby's bath I had left out in case he wanted to use it.  Every couple of minutes he would pause, lean over and take a drink out of the water dish that visiting dogs use.  
I always said that geese were intelligent creatures -- this one knows not to drink his own bathwater for example.

01/10/2020
Thursday the Friends Of Mission group were able to have their first meeting in the church hall since the pandemic began.  25 of us gathered for afternoon tea before David Jones gave a talk on his time in Malaysia early this year.  I took a photo but the light was low since David was about to give his Powerpoint presentation.
And the good news was that Dorothy didn't get the memo about there being no trade table this month, so she brought along her usual selection of home-made cakes to sell.  Dorothy, we've missed you!

1:59 PM 2/10/2020
"The page has become unresponsive..."   :(
For the last month the Internet has been slowing down for me.  Facebook in particular has become more and more difficult to use.  It seems there are three options:  Facebook is overloaded,  my Internet provider is low on bandwidth, or my laptop is on its last legs.  A fourth option, of course, is that the person at the keyboard is incompetent, but we won't go there.

3/10/2020

Weather a bit wild and  windy this week.  One evening I tried to sleep despite the sound of rubbish bins blowing around in the driveway. The doors that were closed blew open and the doors that were open slammed shut.  Perhaps the extra sunlight we get next week will make things a bit more settled  (Daylight Saving starts tonight in Australia).


 

No comments: