Friday, December 24, 2021

Season's Greetings

 


 

 It's Christmas Eve  --  again?  The year seems to have flown by, not helped by my effectively losing two m0nths out of the year while I had my cataract surgery.  That made the year feel shorter (for me anyway).  I have become used to my new glasses, though I have yet to make a dent in the To Be Read pile that built up while I was having problems reading much at all.

Neither have I done anything about the garden.  My friendly local goatherd brought down one of the goats I had last summer (Mr Snuggles) and he's been useful in the backyard.  One day I was looking at a head-high stand of weeds in the back garden and thought we'd probably have to get in there and slash them.  Two mornings later I went out to feed the livestock and the weeds had been reduced to a bare row of stalks.  Well done Mr Snuggles.

I seem to have lost a little weight this year.  A combination of changing some of my medications, and spending several weeks doing a lot of walking while I wasn't able to drive.  One of my friends actually told me she thought I was losing too much weight,  but I'll believe that when I get rid of this spare tire.

Living without any cats took a bit of getting used to this year.  I was asked if I would get another cat, but at my time of life it's a question that takes some considering.  Would it be fair to either of us if I took in one or more felines?  The jury is still out on that one.

We have been a bit spoiled in Tasmania by less stringent Covid precautions  --  being an island has its advantages.  It was only this month that masks were made mandatory again after the borders were re-opened to travel (even though 90% of adults are vaccinated in this state).   I was at the supermarket early today for a couple of last minute items and the car park was filled with people wearing dark glasses and masks;  it looked like the annual meeting of the Witness Protection Scheme.

Nevertheless,  I feel grateful for the support given by family, friends and the wider community over this last two years.  I extend to all my very best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year  --  surely 2022 must be better !

No comments: