Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Busy Busy !


 

Oct 28
Friday agenda:
1. inject 5 micrograms of exenatide subcutaneously
2. visit favorite coffee shop - eggs benedict
3. Pharmacist
4. Salvo store and City Mission shop
5. Newsagent
6. Supermarket
7. return home and rest before dinner
8. can't be bothered with TV, listen to old radio series before bed.
*
I filled a new prescription for my diabetes medication and the pharmacist ran through possible side effects and told me to take it an hour before meals.  For a couple of days, that's just what I did.  Then something started niggling in the back of my mind and I did a Google search.  Sure enough, it told me to take the drug  "2 times a day at any time within the 60–minute period before the morning and evening meals (or before the 2 main meals of the day, about 6 hours or more apart)".  So I did not need to wait sixty minutes till I could eat breakfast in the morning.
*
I went to the meeting at the church hall today and everyone laughed at me.   I don't know who thought of having a comedy segment in the middle of the monthly meeting, but it must have seemed like a good idea to somebody.  (I don't recall hearing of any other Presbyterian stand-up comics;  would it be better for my career if I converted to Judaism?)
*
What a week.  You know there are things you do every week, things you do once a fortnight, monthly things, quarterly things and once-a-year things?  Well, by some freak of the calendar they all coincided in the same week!  I had appointments, meetings, dinners and lunches every day.  By the time I got to the end of the week I didn't know if I was coming or going.  I felt like a Christmas tree salesman on December 24th.
Friday I had hoped to rest up for a bit,  only to receive a note on my door saying the RSPCA wanted to talk to me about my goat.  I phoned them and left a message asking them to ring me back, then waited apprehensively.  When they did ring back, they said they'd had a complaint my goat was looking thin.  Fortunately we were able to resolve the matter with no trouble after I sent them some recent pictures of the goat I had on my phone!
*
Nov 11th
After hearing this morning's radio interview with the Director of Public Health, I made sure to buy a new packet of masks before going to do the weekend shopping.  Cooler, with showers.  Stores beginning to clog up with Christmas stuff.  Puzzled by the reindeer around the Christmas tree in Coles;  when did reindeer grow manes like a lion?
Went home and had afternoon tea while listening to a 1944 episode of The Lone Ranger.
*
Nov12th
Saturday Keith and I went out to the South Hobart tip shop.  Keith happy because he found a book he'd  been looking  for since I-don't-know-when.
Watched a movie on You Tube after dinner.  What a difference nine years makes.  In 2013 when 500mph STORM was made, it was just another disaster movie. Looking at it now, the scenes of storms, floods and fires are uncomfortably like last week's news broadcasts.
*
A friend commented "I like your new glasses. They must have been expensive."  No, I explained, because I sold so much of their product when I was in the hotel business, one of the big breweries said they'd chip in for the cost of them.  "You mean...."    Yes, it was a Foster Grant.
*
Set out for church early but traffic was light and despite light rain I was there early.  Read from Matthew chapter 20 at the Communion Service without difficulty (aside from a tickle in my throat in the last paragraph).  Drove out to what used to be Animal Tucker Box;  the new owners started by repainting the outside, now they've re-organized the inside.  Home for lunch and debated whether or not to take a nap until it was too late to do so.  More light rain.
Served up dinner and watched another You Tube movie The Deadly Mantis from 1957;  not bad at all, with a semi-documentary opening reel about North America's radar network which is attacked by ... well, you can probably guess.
*
Here's a thought provoking quote:
"A movie is a novel turned inside out. A novel directly describes the invisible inner motives and emotions of characters and leaves [the reader] to formulate a mental picture of the physical world. A movie...depicts the visible and implies the unseen. Adapting a book to a screenplay thereby calls for a very difficult inversion: The explicit must be made implicit, and the invisible visible."
~101 Things I Learned in Film School. Neil Landau w/Matthew Frederick
*
Thursday I kept busy.  Downloaded some stuff from the Internet before lunch, then went out and  stocked up on my prescription drugs.  Spent two  hours clearing up the front porch so the electricity company can install a new power board tomorrow, then went out and played Bocce for two hours.  By the time I got home and ate dinner, I was ready for bed.
Friday was a madhouse on the roads.  Was there something going on I didn't know about?  If I hadn't known better, I would have thought it was Christmas Eve out there or that the Rolling Stones were performing in the next suburb.  I helped Keith move some stuff to his house and managed to fight my way through the traffic and got home eventually.  Saw OTR guru Ian Grieve in passing at favorite coffee shop. Our friendly neighborhood goatherd dropped in to see Mr Snuggles and share a cup of tea.    No sign of the electricians;  not that surprised - at least I hadn't been at home waiting for them.
*
29 Nov :  Spent nearly all day Tuesday out in the sun driving Keith around.  He's finishing up at the place he's been working for years and there was a lot of stuff to be moved.  We made two trips today, and two more tomorrow should finish it off.  I feel a little guilty that all I can do is the driving;  carrying stuff up and down stairs is beyond me these days but I do what I can.  Got home at 5 o'clock and drank a can of watermelon & pineapple energy drink.

No comments: