Saturday, April 02, 2005

Fall furnace



Friday was a hectic day. We all wilted as the temperature shot up to a sultry 31 degrees; it seemed a bit strange to be mopping our brows while the autumn leaves were starting to change their hue. Then there was a lot of running about to do.

I had to go in to Hobart at short notice. I lost a prescription for Metformin and my endocrinologist's office mislaid my request for a replacement. So I phoned my GP this morning and asked if I could get one from him -- yes, said his receptionist, but you do know we close in half an hour?

So I jumped into the car and drove hurriedly into the city. Parking was a nightmare but I found a spot up in the end of Liverpool Street and got there in time.

Arriving home, my sister gave me a wary look. I wondered what had happened now.

I knew she was going up north to see her old friend Sippa, but she'd just had a phone call from the couple who were giving her a lift. We thought they were leaving about 6 p.m., but they'd changed it to 3 p.m.

Needless to say this change to our schedule sent us into another frenzy. Julie packed frantically. Then we drove to her house where she fed the animals and gave me a last-minute refresher on who ate what.

Stopped at a store to pick up some last-minute shopping for her trip, then when we got back to my place she said "I'm going to sit down for two minutes and relax." I made her a lukewarm cup of coffee (so she could drink it down quickly) then she drove off.

I watched her drive away, feeling hot and tired. Went back inside, made myself something to eat and went to sleep in my chair. Julie sent me a text message to say that it was a bit cooler in Campbell Town where they'd stopped for a meal. I drank the rest of my now cold coffee and emerged into the late afternoon, blinking slightly.

The sky had clouded over a little, and there was a breeze coming up. The goose followed me around, interested to see if I was going to feed her. Parrots fluttered around the fruit tree.
I still felt tired and sticky but the evening looked as though it might be a bit more tolerable.




Went over to Julie's house before I went to bed and checked on her animals. Poultry were quieter than I expected, and the horse was ready and waiting for his feed.

The cats gallopped around as usual, and I kept a close eye on the dogs to make sure they didn't get into a a scuffle after I fed them. In fact I forgot to feed Julie's mastiff before I took him out into the duck-pen; I'm surprised he didn't remind me.




At least I can listen to some plays from the BBC website now that my laptop is running again. This evening I listened to The Distant Echo by suspense novelist Val McDermid, dramatised by Bert Coules

Four students stumble upon the body of a dead girl. Twenty-five years later the Fyffe police mount a "cold case" review of the unsolved case, and the friends finally have an opportunity to clear their names once and for all. However, when one of them dies in a suspicious house fire, and another in a burglary gone bad, it seems someone is pursuing their own brand of justice. If the remaining two are to avoid becoming the next victims they need to find out what really happened all those years ago.

Not bad, but the Scottish accents require some concentration. Unlike television, you can't rely on the Closed Captions!

Afterwards, for light relief I listened to an episode of Just a Minute -- always one of my favourites.



No comments: