Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Haiku, hoops and sunnies

 Feb 25th Thursday
Autumn seems to be on its way.  The days are still warm and sunny but that breeze can be a bit brisk first thing in the morning.  The cat goes outside at the start of the day, then comes back and gets under the blanket again.  I have to leave his breakfast in a bowl next to him so that when he gets hungry he can pop his head out of the blanket and eat without having to get up.

Inclined to be a bit vertiginous today, but nevertheless made my way out to the Bocce Club and played three games this afteroon.  Once again I made a few good shots, which was pleasing.  It has only taken me about five years to get the hang of this game.
Got my new sunglasses in the mail.  They're not actually for being out in the sun, they're supposed to reduce glare at night.  They may be rubbish, but I'll have to try them out.  They do make me look slightly sinister.



Feb 26th Thursday

1950s movie alert  --  received today, a jiffy bag (when was the last time we saw one of those?) containing two movies I saw on television when I was a teenager but not since.  Arch Oboler's FIVE and one of the great spoiler titles of all time I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE.  My dilemma - which one do I watch first?

Haiku for a pussycat (2014):
Eyes shut, body still;
The true meaning of "cat nap"
Plain for all to see.


Saturday Feb 27th
As usual, Saturday was devoted to driving around the op shops, in spite of Keith taking a spill in the main street yesterday.  We went to Salvos and Vinnies after starting at the Glenorchy Tip Shop  --  I had warned Keith he might not find much there but he did pick up a couple of items in between grouching about their prices and the condition of the stock.  Stopped in for lunch at the Green Store, where I had the Vegetarian Breakfast and he had a big plate of kurosawa.  (i.e. I paid for his lunch after he gave me three Japanese movies!)
Felt so tired when I got home that I sat down with a cup of coffee and watched some Fraggle Rock cartoons before I stirred myself to make dinner.

On the air last week, a review of a documentary about photographer Annie Leivowitz.  The reviewer mentioned in shocked tones that she has 10,000 books.  Pshaw, I say.  If you lived in New York and had a big house and plenty of money, why not own 10,000 books?

Sunday Feb 28
Late home from church because I detoured to the Eastern Shore for lunch with friends at the Shoreline Hotel.  Some eyebrows were raised when I ordered the stir-fried wild rice, a dish that nobody else seemed familiar with.  (Zizania palustris is a plant native to the Great Lakes region of North America and not actually related to everyday rice.)
I nodded off while deciding whether or not have an afternoon nap.  ..Fortunately I had already fed the animals.


Haiku for the pharmacist [2014]:
   Tablets, potions, pills!
   The modern magic cure-alls
   Are briskly dispensed.

 
March 2nd Tuesday
Got in two games at the Croquet Club this afternoon.  I played very badly in the first game, but after the second game my partner congratulated me on how well I played.  That is not uncommon for me.   

In the evening, a skeleton crew for the Quiz Night, three of us plus Suze who turned up at interval.  We managed to score 82 points, which I thought wasn't bad, but in the end (yes, you're right) we finished in fourth place yet again.  

No comments: