Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Quizzing, Croquet and Op-Shopping

 

 


12th Feb  Friday
The goats have done such a good job clearing out the back yard that they've now been transferred to working on the end of the driveway.  Our friendly neighborhood goatherd has done a great job in erecting a stockade made up of wooden pallets and bits of garden bric-a-brac.  Fluffy and Snuggles seem comfortable in their new quarters, the only drawback being that they can now see me coming and going, a cause for baaing and bleating.

15th Feb  Monday
Last week was so busy I didn't have time to note down what was happening  I remember I was out to dinner with friends on Monday as usual.  Tuesday I played croquet, had a doctor's appointment and went to the quiz night; Internet out for an hour.  
Wednesday was an afternoon tea with one of the groups from church.  Thursday I had to be out early for another doctor's appointment, then in the evening played three games at the Bocce Club.  Friday and Saturday I was out all afternoon with Keith going round the used book shops; Internet out for three hours but had series of reassuring text messages from NBN.  
Sunday there was Communion Service at church, after which I picked up the animal feed I hadn't had time to buy during the week, and slept for two or three hours after lunch.  That gave me the strength to stay up and watch the late movie STARGATE: THE ARK OF TRUTH which I had somehow never seen before.  A late dinner after Keith phoned and we talked about movies and music for half an hour.
Monday morning I felt so tired I had two cups of coffee before breakfast,  something I never do.

Feb 16th Tuesday
The Curse of the White Butterfly.  It was hot and sunny for Tuesday afternoon croquet, which didn't help my game. At least I had a bottle of water with me. But I noticed whenever I took aim at the next hoop, a white butterfly would flutter around me in circles.  That didn't help my concentration and in the end I lost by one shot.   
Still pretty hot when I got home.  I should have followed the example of the goats, who were curled up in the shade looking very settled.

Quite a crowd for the quiz night tonight, we had 13 tables competing - unlucky for some.  We came in fourth, the usual position from years ago, but I thought we did pretty well, scoring 77 points. 82. The winners scored 82.  I got 9/10 in the Old Stuff category  --  we would have got a perfect score if they didn't get Hank Aaron's home record wrong  We said it was 715,  they had it as 755.   Oh well, there's always next time.

19 Feb  Friday
Weather for Saturday is a bit startling.  It hit a maximum of 31 here a few minutes ago, and the latest forecast says that we'll have a minimum of 19 (probably about sunrise) then a maximum tomorrow of 22.   Confirms all those old jokes about the volatility of Hobart's weather!

20th Feb  Saturday
After a leisurely Saturday aftrnoon going around the op shops and lunching in the suburbs, Keith and I went back to my place to look over a whole box of DVDs that a friend had dropped off.  We made a cup of tea and settled in at the table outside the back door to sort through the movies.  One of the chickens looked in a couple of times but lost interest when she could see we weren't eating.  The cat, however, enjoyed the opportunity.
Keith looked across the table at me and said "That cat really loves being with you.  The expression on his face while he's curled up against you is positively blissful."  What can I say, it's animal magnetism.  (My sister really had it  --  she was visiting Bondi Beach once and a German Shepherd came over and put its head in her lap.)
As for the movies, it took us a while to go through them and divide them into three categories -  Yes, Maybe and Definitely Not.  I'll study them more thoroughly later on.

23rd Feb Tuesday
Slept poorly, waking every couple of hours.  What's with that?  Probably the only part of my life I can usually rely on 100% is my ability to go to sleep easily.
Said good morning to the goats,  had a late breakfast and listened to "Trump's Last Stand" on CONVERSATIONS on ABC Radio.  Richard Fidler interviewed Australian-born reporter Jonathan Swan with the inside story of Donald Trump’s last few months in office.

The Croquet Club had a good turn-up today with 12 or 14 playing.from lunch-time.  The only drawback was the noise from workmen at the oval next door.  It's bad enough the medevac helicopters now fly right over the club,  but we got a bit tired of the mechanical noise and constant chatter ("Bring it back... more... more"  "Was that a mouse or a rat?"  "Can't you shift that **** thing!").

Called in at the pharmacy to complain about my latest prescription.  "Jardiance and Jardimet are just different names for the same medication," they said.  I replied "No, because one of them has Metformin in it, and I'm out of those."  "Well, you've still got an unused prescriptiom for Metformin - we could give you a packet of those."  I paused, and thought to myself, OK I could live with that.

Quiz night went off all right.  Nine teams playing.  We got off to a good start, scoring 8/10 in the opening round about Nobel Prize winners.  I even answered one of the music questions  (it was about Little Richard)  By the end of the night, we had 82 points and won Second Prize.
The quizmaster was disturbed when she heard at least two of us would be absent next week.  "We're not losing all of you, are we?"  We assured her there would be at least a token presence next week from The Amnesiacs.
 

No comments: